Academic Coursework CEUs


 NOTE:  Academic Coursework can earn RID CEUs after the course has been completed. The course must be taken within your current CMP cycle.

Step one:  Choose the course you want to attend at an accredited college or university. The course does not have to pertain strictly to interpreting; it can be a course in Linguistics, Business, Psychology, Social Work, etc. As long as the course is educationally beneficial to you as an interpreter, it can earn CEUs for you!

Step two:  Download and carefully review: Academic Coursework Instructions Participants and e-Academic Coursework Check List and fill out the top section of the 19-Academic Coursework Form.

Step three: Email the Activity Report and all required documentation for review and approval from the TIEM Center. Required documentation is listed on the checklist you downloaded above, and includes a transcript demonstrating a grade of C or higher (2.0 or higher), a course outline and proof that the college/university is accredited through the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) to

The TIEM Center will review your documentation and notify you of the results. If approved, you will receive a notification to pay for the CEUs. Once payment is received, the TIEM Center will post the CEUs to RID on your behalf. Payment must be received within the same CMP cycle that the course was completed in order for CEUs to be awarded.

Cost for Academic Coursework CEUs: $50 per submission

The standard formula for determining the number of CEUs per course is as follows:

  •  1.5 CEUs per credit hour for a course taken in a semester session.
  • 1.0 CEUs per credit hour for a course taken in a quarter session.